Monday, June 09, 2008

Bran muffins

I made bran muffins last night, but unfortunately didn't get any pictures. I was impressed by how well they came out. Unlike most of the stuff I try to make, they actually tasted like what they were supposed to be. Rob was proud of me.

1 1/2 cups unprocessed wheat bran
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons margarine
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg worth of egg replacer
1 cup milk substitute (I used almond milk)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix 1/2 cup of the bran with the boiling water water and let it sit until it has absorbed. Blend sugar and margarine in a separate bowl. In yet another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Combine the moistened bran and the "egg", then add the rest of the bran, "milk", the sugar-margarine mixture, and the flour-soda-salt mixture. Stir until well blended.

Spoon into 12 lightly greased muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes.

No comments: