Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Applesauce brownies and an easy bean salad

Today I felt like making brownies but I didn't want anything with oil in it. Luckily, applesauce can stand in for oil and does a pretty good job.

Applesauce Brownies
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup sugar (or sugar-like substance)
3/4 cup flour (I used 1/4 cup all-purpose and 1/2 cup whole wheat)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix applesauce and sugar together, then add the rest of the ingredients. Spread into a greased 8x8 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. I made mine into brownie cupcakes and they didn't take as long. Unfortunately, I didn't divvy up the batter well enough and they are all different sizes, so I didn't take any pictures of their ugly little selves. They taste good, though.


I also wanted to make some sort of salad with the black beans I had in the cupboard because I am tired of having peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. This is really easy:

Easy Bean Salad
1 can black beans (rinse them to cut out some of the sodium)
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 diced carrot
1/2 cup total of any veggies you like (I did peas, corn, onion, green beans, and chopped broccoli)

Toss them all in a bowl and put them in the fridge, it doesn't even need any dressing, but you can use some if you like. This would be good on some whole wheat pita I think.

On another note, I finally found a pair of jeans that fit me. I have been searching forever. I have lost about 20 pounds since I graduated a few years ago and haven't found any new jeans since then, so all my clothes are too big and a lot of stores don't sell small enough sizes. So thank you store at the Hollywood Highland Center
whose name I already forget.

3 comments:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I've been looking for jeans for ages, so I'm bummed that you can't think of the name of the store! I try to avoid that center because it's always so crowded, but maybe I'll make a special trip and try to track down the mystery jeans. :)

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Cool, Hannah...thanks for the info! My fingers are crossed. ;)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

good guess Hannah! You are the winner! (I live in LA too!)