Friday, April 04, 2008

Chai Muffins

So here is my first recipe post. Unfortunately, what I made didn't come out perfectly, but that's okay. I will try again later. The recipe is for a Chai Muffins, which is an adaptation of Fatfree Vegan Kitchen's Coconut Chai Breakfast Cake.

Chai Muffins
1 cup strong chai tea
1/3 cup quick oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup maple syrup (I used sugar free)

Mix all dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients. Spoon into 12 lightly greased muffin cups. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.

The thing that might need changing about these is the sweetener (maple syrup). You might need more than what I listed. When I made them, I only used about a tablespoon of sweetener (for some reason) and they aren't really sweet at all. Sugar or honey would work fine, too.

Made with sugar free syrup these muffins are only about 75 calories each.



2 comments:

trina said...

Well it sure sounds good, even if they weren't as perfect as planned. I love a healthy muffin!

Kristen Forbes said...

Oh man, they LOOK good! Too bad we didn't live closer, so we could bring each other treats every week. And about agave nectar: it's really sweet and kinda alcohol-y tasting (not rubbing alcohol, like sake, but alcohol alcohol, like tequila). I did not like it at ALL at first ... but it's growing on me now :-)